Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Flappy Bird Review: Worst 5 Minutes I Have Ever Spent

Flappy Bird is insanely popular. Its at the top of the charts for mobile games right now. It has around 500,000 reviews on The App Store. It was released about a year ago but just recently reached this high level of popularity. Why is it so popular? Its addicting, or so people say it is.

Normally I don't review or write anything at all about mobile games (I never have until now actually), but I think I need to write something about this poorly made, pointless game.

Why am I writing this? I thought I might as well try it out because its extremely popular and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Also its free, doesn't take up much space and is supposedly extremely addicting. What was there to lose? 5 minutes of my life down the drain spent playing this stupid piece of junk.

Flappy Bird is an incredibly hard and extremely simple endless platformer. Simple to the point where its not even really a game. Imagine something like Jetpack Joyride that's 100 times harder, with no powerups, no collectibles, no variety in the level, no difficulty curve, no objectives or anything but mindless, boring extremely difficult platforming. All you do is press start and tap the screen to make this thing that's supposed to resemble a bird fly between pipes without hitting them. When you pass by a pipe and you get a point. That's about it. No powerups, no variety in the level, no different game modes, no anything really.

Flappy Bird is probably the most frustrating game I have ever played. I think my high score is only 4 or 5. Other endless games like Jetpack Joyride and Temple Run start off easy and get harder the longer you survive. Those games have something important called a "difficulty curve". Flappy Bird does not. The game starts of extremely difficult from the start. It doesn't get easier or harder, its always the same frustrating difficulty level. Its not the least bit fun or addicting. I really don't see what the appeal is.

Forbes review is right. It's concerning that tons of people are obsessed with something so pointless.

"But it’s worrisome that we live in a world that would rocket an almost entirely mindless game like this to insane levels of popularity. Forget video games, what does that say about society as a whole? Have we reached a level of boredom bordering on dangerous if we’re spending our time en masse on something so pointless?"

Flappy Bird is an extremely simple, pointless, poorly made, frustrating game that I can't recommend to anyone. Flappy Bird is pure rubbish. Please don't download it. You can thank me later.

Score: 0/10

Pros:
None (yes it really is that bad)

Cons:
- Extremely frustrating
- So simple to the point where its difficult to consider it a game
- No difficulty curve
- No power ups or anything to spice things up
- Not at all addicting like it claims to be

I could add a bunch more things to the already long list of cons but I would end up writing a book. Once again avoid this game at all costs.














No comments:

Post a Comment